ANNOUNCING FULL DAY PRESCHOOL FOR THE 2021/2022 SCHOOL YEAR
Garrard County Preschool and the Community Action Council (CAC) South Central Head Start work collaboratively to provide excellent preschool services to all eligible Garrard County children. Garrard County Schools is currently registering children for preschool screenings for the 2021/2022 school year. If your child will be 3 or 4 years of age by August 1st, please pick up a Preschool Screening Registration Packet at Head Start or from the Garrard Education Center. You may also print the packet from one of the links listed on this page.
GARRARD PUBLIC PRESCHOOL ELIGIBILITY:
A child who meets the following guidelines is eligible for preschool:
- Lives in Garrard County, and
- Is 4 years old on or before Aug. 1, and
- Falls under federal income guidelines.
Or if the child:
- Lives in Garrard County, and
- Is 3 or 4 years old, and
- Has a diagnosed special need.
- Non-qualifying four year-olds may attend the Early Childhood program via tuition and as space allows
State-funded preschool has AM and PM sessions.
GARRARD HEAD START PRESCHOOL ELIGIBILITY:
Lives in Garrard County, must be age 4 by August 1st, and must meet ONE of the following requirements:
- Meets Federal Income Guidelines
- Has a disability
- Is eligible for Public Assistance (SSI, K-TAP, Child Care Subsidy)
- Meets guidelines for being considered a homeless family
- Resides in a foster home
Head Start preschool has full day sessions with bus transportation to and from school.
Preschool screenings will be be scheduled throughout the 2021/2022 school year. Below are the initial screening dates for the 2021/2022 school year.
To schedule a screening, please call (859) 792-1263 or (859) 792-3018 or your district school at the contact numbers below.
2021/2022 PRESHOOL SUMMER SCREENINGS
Garrard Education Center
324 West Maple Avenue
Lancaster, KY 40444.
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
Friday, May 7, 2021
Friday, May 14, 2021
Friday, May 21, 2021
Wednesday, July 28, 2021
Thursday, July 29, 2021
Thursday, August 12, 2021
Friday, August 13, 2021
SCHOOL YEAR SCREENINGS
District Elementary School
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Friday, September 17, 2021
Friday, October 22, 2021
Friday, November 12, 2021
Friday, January 14, 2022
*Screening schedule is subject to change. Individual appointments are available by special request.
When you come to a screening, please bring the following documents:
- Birth Certificate
- Physical Exam and Immunizations recorded on a Kentucky form. School Entry Physical that includes blood pressure, Hemoglobin count, and Lead Screening/test.
- Eye Exam (not screening) by an Optometrist or Ophthalmologist, and a Dental Exam performed by a licensed dental professional.
- Preschool eligibility is determined based on income. A child is not considered registered until we have proof of income. The best proof of income is your W-2 form. Other acceptable forms of proof of income include: Income Tax Form 1040, Foster Care Documentation, TANF documentation (K-Tap Letter), SSI documentation, Pay stub or pay envelopes (four), written statements from employers, or unemployment documentation.
- Proof of Garrard County Address
- Copy of legal guardianship (if not biological parent)
To begin the eligibility process, children will need to complete the screening process. This will include hearing, vision, and developmental screenings. Screenings take place at registration and will last approximately one hour.
The district does allow for a limited number of ineligible students to pay tuition and attend preschool. This is based on the school having slots available. Spots available will be awarded on a first come-first served basis.
The Garrard County School Preschool Program only serves children who live in Garrard County. Preschool is not a mandatory program, but is available to children who meet regulatory eligibility requirements (e.g., age, special needs, and/or income). The program selects placement based on a child’s districted area, available space at a school, transportation availability, and etc.
Applications are taken year-round, and children are placed throughout the year based on classroom space. If transportation is needed, the district's Transportation Department is consulted regarding location/session based on current policies and procedures.
ONSITE PRESCHOOL LOCATIONS:
Camp Dick Robinson Elementary: (859) 792-6136
7541 Lexington Rd, Lancaster, KY 40444-9117
Lancaster Elementary: (859) 792-3023
205 Lexington St., Lancaster, KY 40444-1146
Paint Lick Elementary: (859) 792-2122
6798 Richmond Rd., Paint Lick, KY 40461-8812
The Garrard County Board of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, marital status, age, sex, or handicap as set forth in Title XI, and Section 504. Any person having inquiries about compliance with these requirements is directed to contact Superintendent Kevin Stull at the Garrard County Board of Education, W. Maple Ave., Lancaster, Kentucky 40444, (859) 792-3018.